Every day, I encounter a new challenge to the idea that things can and should be open and real.

Be it social, political, or personal, serious or trivial -- every time, I ponder the implications.

I hope you'll join me in the conversation!


Monday, April 13, 2009

Latin Schmatin

Oh the irony....that's right, I don't even know if Esse Diem makes any sense in Latin. But at least I'm being real with you about it! My first choice was Esse Quam, from the NC state motto Esse Quam Videri, "to be rather than to seem." SOME one has reserved this name for a blog, back in 2005, but apparently doesn't actually blog. Ever. I've actually decided this is my good fortune, because I got to cobble together a new name, which loosely translated means "to be in the day," or as I think of it, "get real now."

I thought a lot about whether or not to start this blog, knowing that there is plenty about my life that could be critiqued as less than 100% authentic. That said, this for me is more about the journey than the destination. In addition, I love to write and to debate ideas, and at this point in my life blogging seems like the best way to do both things.

I hope you'll be patient with me as I get going, this is all new to me. Please fasten your seatbelt and keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle, I'm about to post.......

2 comments:

KathArine said...

I haven't the slightest idea how to advocate for my authentic life. I'll be really interested to hear any and every idea on the subject though! Welcome to the blogosphere!

MtnButterfly said...

Nice start!! I'm looking forward to keeping up with this blog. We all should strive for a more real, connected and authentic life, and the tools are there for us to get there. Thanks for starting this "EDG"!!!