Every day, I encounter a new challenge to the idea that things can and should be open and real.

Be it social, political, or personal, serious or trivial -- every time, I ponder the implications.

I hope you'll join me in the conversation!


Monday, June 22, 2009

How You Look, How You Feel


For whatever reasons, I’ve never had big problems with how I look. I’m like everyone else in that some days there are some things I’d like to change, but overall my appearance has never troubled me greatly.


What has troubled me on and off for years, and lately more on, is how I feel.

I decided yesterday to take the challenge of a blogger on A Better West Virginia and to use social media to help inspire myself and to keep me accountable for making some meaningful change in how I feel through a new focus on fitness. http://marketinggenius.blogspot.com/2009/06/fitter-west-virginia.html


Not long ago there was a television campaign by the Church of the Latter Day Saints; it featured images of people in a community, all of whom looked pulled together and well. But through the magic of television the ad was able to show the people’s insides as well as their outsides. Some people were dealing depression, some domestic violence, some alcohol abuse, some profound grief, some chronic pain, some eating disorders. All of these struggles were invisible, but were wreaking havoc on quality of life.

I have not felt particularly great since having a baby, and by that I mean physically great. My heart is full, and I am so thrilled to have my daughter in my life. But the way my physical life has changed is starting to effect my psychological life as well. I won’t go into the details, but let’s just say this kid is trying to kill me and some days might be gaining ground on that goal. I’m really ready to stop waiting for this to “get better” on its own and to start doing something to make it better.

I’m not sure yet exactly how this is going to go, but part of it is to stop living in my own head all the time and start putting it out there, what needs to change and documenting progress.

For some strange reason, I think I feel better already.

4 comments:

KathArine said...

So many people have told me lately about the importance of goal-setting out loud or on paper rather than in your head. I think when you admit what you want to change and what you want to have, it makes you stronger. Telling people and asking for support makes your goals even more real. And I think you're already an incredibly strong woman. I would be honored to be able to support and help you in any way.

The EDG said...

Thank you! I will take you up on that!

Connie said...

I meant to comment on this earlier.

Babies and children take their toll on mamas. Take care of yourself so you can take care of them.

I'm a great fan of yoga - first, it keeps me out of wheelchair and in high heels and, second, it gets good endorphins rocking thru my body. Third, you can do it with the baby - seriously.

I'm also a fan of bench pressing babies - they giggle. . . and baby giggles are the best sound in the world.

Bergie said...

As usual, i'm relating. Sophia is 5 months old, and though i instantly lost my baby weight (having the plague will do that), I am binging and slothful, and it's causing physical and mental nuttery. This might not be your issue, but I know I've felt a change too.

I look forward to being inspired by your progress :)